Wednesday, May 19, 2010

without further ado...


THE APRON POST!

oh yay! my apologies on this taking so long. been under the weather a bit and busy making stuff. :)

my love for aprons started with me great grand-mother Inace Mae Owen. every year,for christmas, she gave basically everyone she knew an apron. somehow, as fate would have it, i got her ridiculously fabulous sewing machine when she passed.
i also inherited her love for sewing.

last year when i visited my nana, she gave me one of grandma owens aprons.
isn't it lovely??
it's so nice to know that she was fashionable as well as talented. :)
that was all it took. one black and white apron, with pocket and lace trim.
it had me at hello!
haha.

when i got home last year i went straight to my pile of random goodies and pulled out some old green sheets and a piece of upholstery fabric that had made a valance out of for, my nana.

my very first apron. i must admit i believe i spent more time pulling it apart than i did putting it together! it took me forever to finish!
i didn't have a pattern so this was also my first attempt at drafting one.
fast forward a year and they are still my favorite things to make!
(i am getting better at making them from scratch too!)


this one i made for suzan, because she has started frequenting a once-a-month cooking club
and didn't have one.
sad day, right?
i also made her a full length one:



my favorite part about this one???
the cute pleats in the back of course!



so you would think that after making almost a bazillion aprons i would never use a pattern.
that's what i thought.
until i stumbled on the most
AMAZING
website on the inter-web.
burda style has become one of my best friends ever!
as soon as i saw the obi apron, i knew i had to try it out.

remember this fab fabric from the salvation army?
it was two-dolla
half off!

it is now a fabulous obi apron!


(nikki so kindly sent these pics to me as i forgot to take a pic of them before i gave them to her)
i also made this one for her:



isn't she she so dang cute???
i miss this girl!
i also got inspired the other day by a headband i got about three years ago from
(of all places)
walgreens.
i made a few and thought i'd share:



i up-cycled these from old t-shirts and a skirt that was WAY too short.
kinda fun and flirty i think.
thank you mel for modeling!

alrighty folks ta-ta for now!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm swooning looking at this. Your stuff is adorable. The fabric is so pretty. ♥ Salvation Army! I agree with you - Nikki IS so dang cute!! As are the rest of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I LOVE these!!! I love that you are using your artistic gifts!! You are so gifted and it makes me a little jealous :) Beauty.

    ReplyDelete